Join Our Team
Pastor of Small groups & Discipleship (candidate identified)
- Supervisor: Lead Pastor
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly, Part-time
Summary - The Small Groups Pastor is one who is gifted and is called to church ministry, loves people, and has a passion for community, discipleship and the integration of newcomers within a multi-generational, multicultural congregation setting. This person must have a passion for the Word of God and a desire to invest in the lives of leaders. Conducts religious worship and performs other spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of religious faith or denomination as authorized and provides spiritual and moral guidance and assistance to members by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage the vision and structure of small group ministry in our church
- Set goals, expectations and a course for growing discipleship through the vehicle of small groups and mentoring.
- Lead the Small Group Shepherding team to provide leadership, training and shepherding for small group leaders, while directly overseeing/mentoring/guiding a number of small group leaders as a shepherd.
- Lead (or co-lead) at least one small group during each year
- Preach several times a year as requested by the Lead Pastor
- Assist the other pastors in setting vision and goals for the church in general and addressing pastoral issues as they arise.
- May lead congregation in worship services.
- Prepares and delivers sermons and other talks.
- Interprets doctrine of religion.
- Instructs people who seek conversion to faith.
- Conducts wedding and funeral services as needed.
- Administers religious rites or ordinances.
- Visits sick and shut-ins and helps poor.
- Counsels those in spiritual need and comforts bereaved.
- Oversees religious education programs.
- Writes articles for publication and engages in interfaith, community, civic, educational, and recreational activities sponsored by or related to interest of denomination.
Supervisory Responsibilities - This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Job Knowledge - Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possesses personality, temperament and interpersonal skills to relate and serve effectively within a multi-generational, multicultural congregation setting
- Exhibits evidence of Christian character and servant leadership as stated in 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter 5:1-4 in work environment as well as in home/family setting
- Gives evidence of a spiritually balanced life (prayer, Bible study, rest, worship, financial stewardship)
- Doctrinally aligned with Vineyard’s Statement of Faith, doctrinal positions, mission, and core values
- Gives evidence of a strong work ethic, self-initiative and personal integrity
Education and/or Experience - Master's degree or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills - General skills needed
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is required to stand and use their voice to preach and teach; use hands to perform computer and other administrative work. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee can be exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.